1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice, rinsed
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons light olive oil
6 scallions, sliced
3 to 4 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh or jarred ginger, or to taste
1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
Salt to taste
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro, or more to taste
Chopped peanuts or cashews, optional
1. Combine the rice with 3 ½ cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, 30 to 35 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, microwave the sweet potatoes until just done but still nice and firm. Start with 3 minutes total, then test. A knife should go through with some resistance. If needed, microwave for another minute at a time. Once done, plunge the sweet potatoes into a bowl of cold water. Set aside until needed.
3. When the rice is nearly done, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into ½-inch dice.
4. Heat the oil in a stir-fry pan. Add the white parts of the scallions and the garlic, and sauté over medium-low heat until just turning golden. Add the scallion greens and the sweet potatoes; turn the heat to medium-high and stir-fry for a minute or so.
5. Stir in the ginger, curry powder, and turmeric, then add the rice. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until the ingredients are well blended. Add the peas and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes.
Source: Vegan Express by Nava Atlas